If you’re dealing with a smelly garbage disposal, don’t worry – we have 11 easy steps to help you get rid of the odor! A garbage disposal can be a great convenience, but when it starts to smell bad, it can be a real headache. In this blog post, we’ll take your garbage disposal apart and show you how to clean it out properly. We’ll also give you some tips on how to prevent stinky build up in your garbage disposal. Follow these simple steps, and your garbage disposal will be smelling fresh in no time!
- Turn off the garbage disposal and unplug it from the power outlet.
- Use a flashlight to look inside the garbage disposal for any visible build-up of food or debris.
- If you see any build-up, use a pair of tongs to carefully remove it. Be careful not to drop anything down the drain!
- Once you’ve removed all the visible build-up, it’s time to give your garbage disposal a good scrub. You can use a brush designed specifically for cleaning garbage disposals, or a stiff bristled brush.
- Rinse out the garbage disposal with plenty of water.
- Now it’s time to clean the garbage disposal with a disinfectant. You can use white vinegar or lemon juice. Simply pour either one into the garbage disposal and let it sit for about five minutes.
- After five minutes, turn on the garbage disposal and let it run for a few seconds. This will help to remove any lingering vinegar or lemon juice.
- Now it’s time to clean the garbage disposal’s blades. You can do this by running some ice cubes through the garbage disposal.
- Once you’ve cleaned the blades, it’s time to put everything back together. First, reattach the garbage disposal to the power outlet.
- Turn on the garbage disposal and let it run for a few seconds to make sure everything is working properly.
- Finally, give your garbage disposal a fresh smell by adding a few drops of essential oil. You can use any scent you like, but we recommend lavender or lemongrass.
How to prevent stinky build up in you garbage disposal?
- Before you put any food scraps down the garbage disposal, be sure to run some water down the drain. This will help to keep the blades clean and prevent food from sticking.
- Every few weeks, add a half cup of baking soda to the garbage disposal and let it run for a few seconds. This will help to remove any build-up and keep your garbage disposal smelling fresh.
- Avoid putting any starchy or oily foods down the garbage disposal, as these can cause build-up.
- If you do notice a bad smell coming from your garbage disposal, be sure to give it a good cleaning following the steps above.
If not taken care of properly, garbage disposals can become smelly quite easily. This is because they are constantly dealing with food scraps and water. The garbage disposal is also an ideal place for bacteria to grow. If you start to notice a bad smell coming from your garbage disposal, there are a few easy steps you can take to get rid of the odor.
- Run some water down the drain: This will help to flush out any food scraps that may be stuck in the garbage disposal.
- Add a half cup of baking soda: Baking soda is a natural odor neutralizer. Simply add a half cup of baking soda to the garbage disposal and let it run for a few seconds.
- Avoid putting starchy or oily foods down the garbage disposal: These types of foods can cause build-up, which can lead to a bad smell.
- Clean the garbage disposal regularly: By following the steps above on a regular basis, you can prevent smelly build-up from happening in the first place.
We hope these tips help in keeping your garbage disposal smelling fresh! If you run into any issues with your garbage disposal, let the professionals at Master Plumbing know. We’re always happy to help!