What do you think is one of the most difficult things for a drain to handle? You probably didn’t say pet fur. Washing your pet, especially your dog can easily clog your drain.
All of the water that comes into your home must leave through your drains. The drains in your shower are meant to handle debris and high water flow. However they do have their limit and are vulnerable to fibrous material like hair or pet fur. Pet fur can clog the drain causing water to back up or slow draining.
Dog Breeds that Shed
While cleaning your pet can be fun, it can be stressful for your home’s plumbing. Dogs can shed a lot.
According to the hilspet.com, the top ten worst shedding breeds are:
- Saint Bernard
- Great Pyrenees
- Chow Chow
- Siberian Husky
- Golden Retriever
- German Shepherd
- Labrador Retriever
- Alaskan Malamute
- Alaskan Husky
Washing Your Dog
Washing your dog releases extra fur. This can be a significant amount of excess fur which is hard for a drain to handle. Fur will collect in the drain pipe. It will make a thick mass which the water won’t be able to flow through. Once the mass of fur is in place, water will be unable to move.
As the old adage goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is easier to prevent a drain clog then to unclog a drain.
- You can remove excess fur by brushing your dog before a bath. This will cut down on the amount of fur in the bath.
- You can prevent fur from going into the drown by putting a screen over the drain. That way the water will drain while the fur will be strained out.
How To Unclog Your Bath
You can attempt to dislodge the fur blocking your drain.
- First, take off the drain guard
- Once you have removed the drain cover, you can access the drain pipe
- Look to see if there is a mass of fur
- Remove the mass of fur
- Test to see if water will drain
If you can’t get the drain to work, call a Master Plumbing today. Our professional staff can get your drains working again. We pride ourselves on providing quality quick service. Your pet deserves the best and so do your drains.